Submit a Complaint

You can call the County Enforcement Complaint Line 780-723-3221 to speak with a dispatcher. Please note enforcement staff are not available 24/7 and work at various times. An officer will get back to you as soon as they are available. .

An officer will begin an investigation into your complaint and provide action as warranted, once it has been determined if there has, or has not been, a breach of legislation. Actions taken may include a notice for remedial measures (i.e. clean-up or removal of garbage at an unsightly property), verbal warning to educate and mitigate the violator from continuing the breach of legislation, and/or laying charges through a bylaw ticket or provincial violation ticket.

To investigate your complaint the CPO will collect your name, address, and phone number(s), as well as the following information:

  • Date and time of the event
  • Type of event
  • Location and or address of the event
  • General description of the event

    Anonymous complaints will not be accepted.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are reporting an after-hours incident involving a vicious or dangerous dog please contact your local RCMP Detachment or 911. 

You may be asked to provide a sworn statement to the CPO, as well as to attend court. If you are required to attend court in regard to your complaint, your name may be provided to the defendant.

Planning Department Complaint Form

You can also submit a Planning Development Complaint Form for planning and development issues such as unsightly properties or illegal developments. You can send the form via email or drop it off at the County Administration Office during regular business hours