Land Use Bylaw (LUB)

Land use in Yellowhead County is controlled by assigning each parcel of land to a specific Land Use District. There are currently 9 land use districts. Each district has a list of Land Uses that are allowed or not allowed such as home-based businesses or commercial buildings. The Land Use Bylaw (LUB) also regulates the size, height and placement of buildings on land. It also sets out the rules for subdividing land, applying for a development permit or applying to change a land use district.

View the Land Use Bylaw here:

Land Use Bylaw Maps

You can view the maps of all the areas in the county with the new land uses, including Edson and Area, Hinton and Area, hamlets, and other areas.

Land Use Bylaw Amendments

Land Use Bylaw Amendments Applications can be made if a landowner wants to change the Land Use District of their land. This is for landowners who want to develop something that is not allowed in their current Land Use District. All amendments to the Yellowhead County Land Use Bylaw need to be approved by Yellowhead County Council.

Passed Bylaw Amendments to Land Use Bylaw 09.21

Amendment Bylaw 19.21

Amendment Bylaw 16.22

Amendment Bylaw 17.22

Amendment Bylaw 20.22

Amendment Bylaw 02.23

Amendment Bylaw 07.23


  • 1. How do I apply for a Land Use Bylaw Amendment?

    A Land Use Bylaw Amendment Application requires:

    • A completed application form.
    • Signatures of all Landowners.
    • A statement of the reasons for the request.
    • $1,000.00 Land Use Bylaw Amendment Application Fee
    • If the parcel in question is under an Area Structure Plan, an additional $1,000.00 Area Structure Plan Amendment Fee.
    • A new Area Structure Plan or Area Redevelopment Plan may be required, at the discretion of the Development or Subdivision Authority, if this is the case a fee of $2,000 will be required.
    • Required testing, if the amendment is part of a subdivision application that will create six or more parcels within a quarter section of land.
  • 2. What happens after my application is received?

    • Referral letters are sent to various agencies for comment.
    • The application is presented to council for first reading.
    • If Council chooses to give first reading, a public hearing is scheduled.
    • A letter is sent to the applicant and all adjacent landowners regarding the date and time of the public hearing.
    • The public hearing is advertised in the local paper for two weeks prior to the date of the hearing.
    • Council will decide whether or not to give second and third reading based on the feedback from the public hearing and recommendations from administration.
    • After third reading, a letter will be written to the applicant and anyone else who attended the public hearing, notifying them of the approval. A copy of the signed bylaw will be sent with this notification.
    • If first, second or third reading does not take place, then the application is refused and the applicant will be notified in writing.
  • 3. I’m approved, can I start construction?

    No. An approved amendment still requires an approved development permit prior to beginning construction.

  • 4. My application was rejected, what are my options?

    There is no right-of-appeal for amendment applications under the Municipal Government Act. If an Area Structure Plan amendment is required but does not pass first reading,  a 50% refund will be provided to the applicant.

Please contact the Planning Department for assistance.