The YCFD WEP is open for applications.
- February 16, 2024 at 4:30 PM for March, 2024 intake
- August 16, 2024 at 4:30 PM for October, 2024 intake
The Yellowhead County Fire Department Firefighter Work Experience Program (WEP) has been designed to give recent (within the last 24 months) graduates from an accredited fire school the opportunity to gain firefighting experience that will help move them toward a career firefighting position.
Each WEP firefighter will spend a year with YCFD at Station 10 in Evansburg, Alberta, and/or Station 12 in Edson, Alberta, depending on the vacancy, living and working as a firefighter. Yellowhead County supplies the WEP firefighter with accommodations (taxable benefit), and hourly wage will be paid to WEP firefighters for time scheduled on shift or when responding to emergency calls.
YCFD is a composite department made up for 17 fulltime staff, 21 casual firefighters, as well as Paid On-Call Volunteer firefighters.
Enhancing and maintaining your skills to provide you an edge in your career search is our priority. WEP firefighters are mentored by experienced firefighters through shift routines and training sessions. This repetitious routine in training will help WEP firefighters to build upon skills acquired during fire academy. WEP firefighters will also have the opportunity to join the Paid On-Call Volunteers, providing additional experience and training opportunities.
WEP firefighters are renumerated for hours worked Monday through Friday at the rate of $26.86 + 4% holiday pay, paid out every other week. There are opportunities to complete accredited certification programs, enhanced training and education for career development. The program also offers mentorship and personal development, including resume writing and interview techniques.
YCFD covers an area of 22,000 square km responding to a variety of fire related incidents. Call volume each year ranges from 550-600 events. Being a WEP Firefighter provides knowledge and experience that fire departments look for in new recruits.
WEP firefighters join existing fulltime staff in a rotation covering 7 days a week. There are opportunities to attend incidents as they occur, evenings and on scheduled days off, as a Paid On-Call Volunteer firefighter.
The Work Experience Program offers a 12-month term, with daily duties balanced between but not limited to fire suppression, technical rescue, medical first response, fire prevention, public education, preplanning, maintenance duties of equipment and the fire station, as well as participation in community events. As part of the program, WEP firefighters will be asked to volunteer within the community, in schools and during community events.
Why the YCFD Work Experience Program?
A career in the fire service is exciting, challenging, diverse and fulfilling.
It truly is the “BEST JOB IN THE WORLD”, which with it is one of the most competitive job markets. Those who aspire to become a career firefighter are unique individuals that thrive on teamwork, helping others and contributing to their community.
Large career departments receive thousands of applications of aspiring firefighters, and in the majority of the cases, these applications lack any job-related work experience. There also becomes a gap between graduating from a fire academy and application intakes that let your skills diminish.
Our program is designed to give fire academy graduates additional training and the experience working full-time as a firefighter. This experience builds not only additional firefighting skills but provides life skills crucial to being able to present yourself as the best candidate during the interview stages.
You will get to work full time as a firefighter, performing daily shift routines, live at the fire station and have an opportunity to respond to approximately 550-600 emergency incidents per year.
You will get an opportunity to have physical and nutritional training that builds habits that are important to a lifelong career in the fire service. Career fire services strive to have the “Best of the Best” and place heavy emphasis on lifestyle to have a healthy work force.
You will have an edge on the competition in the recruiting process when you begin applying. Recruiters in larger centers, such as Vancouver Fire Rescue, have emphasized the value of having candidates who can show relevant experience in the fire service and demonstrate their commitment to the fire service.
This combination of work experience and personal development assists you in becoming a full package during recruitment processes, giving you confidence in being able to sell yourself as being the best candidate to the municipality.
Requirements & Assets
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS (required at the time of application):
- Accredited Fire Program Graduate;
- Age 18 and older;
- Current 5-year Driver’s Abstract completed within past 6 months;
- Commit to the 12-month duration of the Work Experience Program. Individuals hired by a career department during this Program will be relieved of this commitment;
- Completed Medical Checklist (within application);
- Cover Letter must include information not provided in your resume, we want to know your passions, goals, and interests, and why you want to be a part of the YCFD WEP;
- Detailed resume with applicable certifications attached;
- Written character references (minimum 2);
- 5-Year Driver’s Abstract;
- Existing Copies obtained in the last 24 months of the following (if available):
- Doctor’s Medical Clearance; and
- Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector.
*Successful Candidates will be required to produce updated versions of both upon selection*
- This program requires a Physician’s Report which covers the NFPA requirements as outlined within the application. Successful applicants will be required to obtain a Physician’s Report as a contingent of employment.
ITEMS CONSIDERED ASSETS (but are not required)
- Advanced First Aid Training
- Previous firefighting experience or other related work or volunteering
- Class 1 or 3 Driver’s License
- Air-Brake Endorsement
- Post-Secondary Degree(s) or Diploma(s) (provide copies)
- Technical, Trades or equivalent level of certification (provide copies)
- Considerable Mechanical Aptitude
Application & Submission Details
The YCFD WEP is open for applications.
February 16, 2024 at 4:30 PM for March 2024 intake
August 16, 2024 at 4:30 PM for October 2024 intake
Please indicate in your application whether you are interested in future intakes, dependent on the success of your application. Your application will be held for 12 months.
- PREFERRED AND REQUESTED SUBMISSION METHOD:
Submit completed application by hitting “SUBMIT” on the bottom right-hand corner of the application. Hitting “SUBMIT” will generate an email. Please attach all copies of Doctor’s Medical Clearance, Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector, Driver’s Abstract, written character references, certifications, education, training, and relevant information to the email before sending.
Email must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IF SUBMITTING ELECTRONICALLY IS NOT POSSIBLE:
Return to attention of: Krystal Tuftin
Work Experience Program
Yellowhead County Fire Dept.
2716 1 Avenue, Edson, AB T7E 1N9