Council meetings are held in the Council Chambers at the Yellowhead County Administration Building located at 2716-1st Avenue, Edson AB.
Procedures For Making A Presentation To Council
Plan to arrive 10 minutes prior to your presentation and take a seat in the public seating area.
- The Mayor will call you to take a seat at the presentation table when your item is about to be heard by Council.
- The Mayor will ask the Council and presenter(s) to introduce themselves.
- The Mayor will then ask you to begin your presentation. You now have the floor and can make your verbal presentation. Please ensure that your presentation stays within the time allotted (10 minutes).
a) It is helpful if you write out your presentation ahead of time so you can remember all the points you want to make to Council. It is recommended that you submit your written presentation, for the record, so that there is no dispute about the points you made. NOTE: Your presentation whether verbal or written becomes public information after submission to Council.
b) Council meetings are open to all public and media. The local news media is generally in attendance. Any verbal presentation that you make to Council could be included in local news coverage and will become a part of the official public record of the Council meeting minutes.
c) If you have audio/visual/ computer requirements, please ensure that you have notified the Council Secretary in advance.
d) If you wish to circulate documentation to Council at the meeting, you will need to bring 15 copies. NOTE: Since your presentation becomes public information at the time it is delivered to Council, copies of your documentation will also be provided to the media present.
- After you have made your presentation, the Mayor will ask the Councillors if they have questions for you. The Mayor controls who has the floor and who can speak at the meeting. Please direct all your responses to the Mayor and address him as “Mr. Mayor”. When you have completed your presentation and answering questions from Council, you can leave the meeting or you can remain and observe the meeting from the public seating area.
- Debate concerning matters raised during public presentations shall take place at the next regular meeting of Council unless a report from Administration has been prepared offering a recommendation, or Council unanimously agrees to debate the issue. You may remain in the Council meeting and observe other presentations and Council business but you must do so from the public seating area.
- Council adheres to formal procedures and protocols as defined by the Municipal Government Act. This act gives the Mayor the right to expel any person from the Council meeting for improper conduct.
Scheduled Public Presentations
Individuals or groups can make scheduled public presentations by appointment as follows:
- Individuals or groups will be required to make an appointment with Council when making a request to Council for support or funding, making a presentation to Council for Council’s information, or making a presentation to Council regarding a specific policy issue.
- Requests for appointments with Council from individuals or groups shall be made to the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer in writing at least twelve (12) days prior to a regular meeting. Requests received less than twelve (12) days before a regular meeting of Council shall be included on the Agenda for the next regular meeting immediately following. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Mayor and Chief Administrative Officer.
- Debate concerning matters raised during public presentations shall take place at the next regular meeting of Council unless a report from Administration has been prepared offering a recommendation, or Council unanimously agrees to debate the issue.
- Information presented by an individual or group, during a Public Presentation, shall relate only to the subject matter for which the presentation was originally requested.