Land Use Bylaw
Land use in Yellowhead County is controlled by assigning each parcel of land to a specific Land Use District. There are over 40 land use districts and each district has a list of Uses that are permitted or prohibited in that district. These districts also have specific rules regulating the potential size, height and placement of buildings on the land. To find your Land Use District, find your property using the Land Use Bylaw Maps. To find out the allowed uses and regulations in a district, find that district within the Land Use Bylaw.
Land Use Bylaw Amendments
The Yellowhead County Land Use Bylaw separates county land into different land use districts. These land use districts dictate the type of development and subdivision that can occur.
Land Use Bylaw Amendments Development Guides
Land Use Bylaw Amendments Applications can be made if a landowner wants to change the Land Use District of their land. This is for landowners who want to develop something that is not allowed in their current Land Use District. All amendments to the Yellowhead County Land Use Bylaw need to be approved by a bylaw from the Yellowhead County Council.
How do I apply for a Land Use Bylaw Amendment?
A Land Use Bylaw Amendment Application requires:
- A completed application form.
- Signatures of all Landowners.
- A statement of the reasons for the request.
- $400.00 Land Use Bylaw Amendment Application Fee
- If the parcel in question is under an Area Structure Plan, an additional $1500.00 Area Structure Plan Amendment Fee.
- A new Area Structure Plan or Area Redevelopment Plan may be required, at the discretion of the Development or Subdivision Authority.
- Required testing, if the amendment is part of a subdivision application that will create six or more parcels within a quarter section of land.
What is the process after my application is received by the Planning Department ?
- Referral letters are sent to various agencies for comment.
- The application is presented to council for first reading.
- If Council chooses to give first reading, a public hearing is scheduled.
- A letter is sent to the applicant and all adjacent landowners regarding the date and time of the public hearing.
- The public hearing is advertised in the local paper for two weeks prior to the date of the hearing.
- Council will decide whether or not to give second and third reading based on the feedback from the public hearing and recommendations from administration.
- After third reading, a letter will be written to the applicant and anyone else who attended the public hearing, notifying them of the approval. A copy of the signed bylaw will be sent with this notification.
- If first, second or third reading does not take place, then the application is refused and the applicant will be notified in writing.
My amendment application has been approved, can I start construction?
No. An approved amendment still requires an approved development permit prior to beginning construction.
My amendment application has been rejected, what are my options?
There is no right-of-appeal for amendment applications under the Municipal Government Act. If an Area Structure Plan amendment is required but does not pass first reading, a 50% refund will be provided to the applicant.
Bylaw Amendments Listed by Year :
- Bylaw 17.18 PT SW 27-53-09-W5 HC – Hamlet Commercial to HI – Hamlet Industrial October 23 2018
- Bylaw 10.18 NE 23-54-10-W5 RD- Rural District to RU – Recreational Use District
- Bylaw 12.18 SW 36-53-17-W5 RD – Rural District to CR – Country Residential District
- Bylaw 17.17 PT – 08-54-16-W5 RD-Rural District to CR-County Residential District
- Bylaw 04.18 LC – Landfill & Composting District March 13, 2018
- Bylaw 14.17 SW 27-53-10-W5 RD – Rural District to CR(L) County Residential Limited District
- Bylaw 06.17 PT SE 06-53-19-W5 RD – Rural District to Recreational Use District
- Bylaw 07.17 PT NW 19-53-16-W5 RD – Rural District to CR Country Residential District 27-Jun-17
- Bylaw 08.17 PT NE 10-53-18-W5 Plan 022-2845, Blk 3, Lot 1 RD- Rural District to RI – Rural Industrial District
- Bylaw 11.17 Plan 122-2207, Blk 1, Lot 12 PT SW 31-53-12-W5 HC – Hamlet Commercial District to HG – Hamlet General District
- Bylaw 13.16 PT NW 32-52-17-W5 RD – Rural District to CR – Country Residential District
- Bylaw 14.16 Plan 5741RS, Lot 1 PT NE 26-53-12-W5 from RD – Rural District to RU Recreational Use District
- Bylaw 06.16 NE 31-55-15-W5 RD – Rural District to CR – County Residential District
- Bylaw 09.16 to Amend PT SW 31-53-12-W5 from HR – Hamlet Residential to HC – Hamlet Commercial 28-Jun-16
- Bylaw 05.16 PT SW 19-53-07-W5 from RD – Rural District to RI – Rural Industrial District
- Industrial District
- Bylaw 24.15 Plan 792-1188, Lot 4 PT SE 15-49-21-W5 in Robb Hamlet Residential (Robb) District HR(R) to Public Institutional District (PI)
- Bylaw 23.15 Plan 0728026, Blk 2, Lot 1 PT SW 13-53-18-W5 Rural District – RD to Business Commercial / Light Industrial District
- Bylaw 06.15 Rural District RD – to Rural Industrial RI SE 13-54-15-W5
- Bylaw 2.15 Rural District to Rural Industrial RI PT SW 31-53-12-W5 it is under 2016 should be 2015
- Bylaw 19.14 NE 24-53-17-W5 (RD) Rural District to (RI) Rural Industrial
- Bylaw 18.14 Amending sections 87,113,118,119,122 Appendix A & B Communications Towers
- Bylaw 17.14 PT NE 5-54-14-W5 from RD – Rural District to CR – County Residential District
- Bylaw 14.14 PT SW 29-53-17-W5M Plan 922-2017, Block 1, Lot 1 RD Rural District to CR County Residential
- Bylaw 13.14 NW 08-53-12-W5 Plan 112-5238, Block 1, Lot 1 Rural District RD to Country Residential Limited District CR-L
- Bylaw 11.14 PT NE 11-53-18-W5 Rural District RD to Business Commercial Light Industrial District (BCLI)
- Bylaw 10.14 Amending Section 21 – Notification
- Bylaw 07.14 Bylaw RD – Rural District to RI Rural Industrial District
Please contact the Planning Department for assistance.