Seniors are a vital part of our communities. As parents and grandparents, mentors and friends, employees and employers, they make a difference in our lives. It is important that we continue to recognize, celebrate and support seniors during the COVID-19 pandemic.
There are so many great opportunities to stay connected with the older adults in your life, say thank you, make sure they are safe, and see if they need anything. To stay connected safely:
- Make a phone or video call, email or send letters to check-in
- Host a family dinner online
- Host a virtual games night with family and friends
- Write letters and send cards, drawings or photos to seniors in local continuing care facilities
- Arrange outdoor visits that observe physical distancing restrictions
To support the emotional, mental and physical well-being of older adults and to spread good cheer throughout your community:
- Offer to assist with grocery and prescription purchases – online or delivery
- Offer physically distanced yard cleaning for seniors
- Drop off gift baskets at senior’s homes
- Volunteer with organizations that support seniors, like telephone check-in programs (NeighbourLink Friendly Caller Program with Yellowhead County)
- Share stories with seniors and learn about their life experiences and history.
Let’s celebrate, support, and keep seniors safe while respecting public health measures in place.