It’s time for the 10th Annual Alberta Open Farm Days!!!
What is Alberta Open Farm Days?
All over Alberta, Host Farms are opening their gates and inviting YOU to check out their beautiful properties, meet the farmers, experience farm life, and get to know some of your rural neighbours!
And Yellowhead County is no different! We have seven (7) awesome farms in the Wildwood area that are participating in this great event.
Alberta Open Farm Days is a FREE event, however there may be additional experiences, food, or items for sale that do have a cost.
Please note: Some farms may have the ability to take payment by card, but we recommend bringing cash to be sure!
Saturday, August 13 and Sunday, August 14 (times vary by Host Farm, check below!)
(Click on each for more details about their AB Open Farm Days experiences, addresses, contact info, and more!)
Native Wild / Wild Woods Conservation and Education Centre (10 AM to 6 PM)
- Activities & Products: Check out the Native Wild Trading Post, enjoy Indigenous teaching of land animals, feed animals, take a walk and enjoy the beautiful landscape, learn about fur handling and the making of Indigenous products, and more!
- Serving Food on site?: They will not be serving food on site, however guests are welcome to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy at the farm!
Rocking T Farms (9 AM to 5 PM)
- Activities & Products: Learn about and experience daily farm chores like milking, moving animals onto fresh grass, and feeding pigs. Go for a nature walk, pet and feed animals (when a host is around), create a cover crop, and learn about regenerative farming!
- Serving Food on site?: Rocking T Farms will not be serving food on site, however they will be selling take-home food products during the event!
Backwoods Buffalo Ranch (10 AM to 5 PM)
- Activities & Products: Check out beautiful gardens and enjoy some photo ops, take a bison tour, view and feed animals, enjoy live music, check out a local vendor market, shop in the farm store, and more!
- Serving Food on site?: Backwoods Buffalo Ranch will be doing an on-site pig roast! They will also be selling several take-home food products.
Wild Country Gardens (10 AM to 5 PM)
- Activities & Products: Enjoy a guided farm tour of the orchard, vegetable gardens, herbal tea patches, and honey bees. Enjoy a Wild Country Artisan Market with great local vendors, and shop in the Wild Country Farm Store. There will also be an all-ages supervised activity center set up, where you can paint a rock animal or flower, and other fun activities.
- Serving Food on site?: Wild Country Gardens will be selling several food options during the event, including Deep Fried Perogies and BBQ Local Beef Sausage Patties served with a side salad, followed by a “devious” fruit tart! You can enjoy a picnic style lunch on site. They will also be selling several take-home food products.
Wild Ventures Game Farm (10 AM to 5 PM)
- Activities & Products: Check out some of the amazing animals that live on this farm, including Long Horn, cows, horses (and a baby horse!), bunnies, chickens and chicks, dogs, and more. A very special feature of this farm is that they raise bison, elk, and wild boar! There will also be a sandbox on site for kiddos to enjoy and space for you to enjoy a picnic.
- Note: The cover photo at the top of this page was taken at Wild Ventures Game Farm!
- Serving Food on site?: Ventures will be selling Bison Burgers and Elk Taco in a Bag for you to enjoy during their event, and they’re bringing in an ice cream truck as well! They will also be selling several take-home food products.
Leaman Exchange (10 AM to 6 PM)
- Activities & Products: Visit the residents of Featherton (an old west town inhabited by birds), enjoy a petting zoo with several adorable animal friends, meet some horses in the round pen and try your ranch skills with mounting and riding a real horse (with help of course!), visit their store, pan for gems, walk through interpretive trails, enjoy photo ops, check out the obstacle course, take a hayride tour and play I-Spy along the way, build your own beaver dam, and visit and take photos with Sasky the Sasquatch.
- Serving Food on site?: Leaman Exchange will have snack-type foods available such as chips, cookies, granola bars, and a variety of drinks. If the weather is good, they will also have a campfire and picnic area set up for those who would like to bring their own picnic lunches!
- Activities: Enjoy semi-guided tours of the animals (including yaks, alpacas, zebus, and dogs), feed treats to the yaks and alpacas, and check out the farm store!
- Serving Food on site?: The Yak Ranch will be selling Yak Chili and Yak Hot Dogs during their event! They will also have several take-home food products for sale.
Here is a map that shows each of the above farms:
Following this route would be a great way to get to check out all of these great farms in one trip! Remember to be aware of operating hours! (Click for downloadable PDF)
Other Things to Consider:
- Bring cash if possible. While some of the farms may be able to accommodate card payment, others are only able to take cash.
- If you plan to purchase take-home food products such as meat, take a cooler along!
- Dress in farm-friendly clothing and shoes.
- While entrance and many activities are free, there may be additional costs for things like food, products, or additional experiences.
- Remember that these are working farms, so please supervise your children. As well, most Host Farms do not allow pets, as they have their own animals on-site.